Monday, April 7, 2008

Fathi Salama!



So far, the city of Cairo has been even more wonderful that I had remembered it. On Saturday I was invited by my new friend Shymaa to the Cairo Opera House on Gezira Island to watch Fathi Salama and his band, Sharkiat. What an amazing experience. Fathi Salama is a famous pianist and Egyptian composer (a musical genius and jazz prodigy, really!) and the music was incredible. The entire theater was filled with his loyal fans from all over the world, thanks in part to his recent European and Japanese tours. And I can certainly see why! His music really captures the mysterious essence that infuses all of Egypt, while blending it together with French jazz, American blues and even Oriental sounds. The effect is mesmerizing and highly entertaining. You may just look like you are sitting in your seat, but simultaneously elegant and primitive sounds carry you far, far away.

I absolutely loved it.